-
February 22nd, 2001, 04:01 AM
#21
Inactive Member
I'm running a 6AL, the L stands for rev-limiter. Stock rev-limiters suck. They do not do the same as an after market one. And they are not as safe as an after market one. All I want to do is remove the rev-limiter and set the 6AL at 7500 or so. Look into after market rev-limiters.
[This message has been edited by Racer4n (edited February 21, 2001).]
-
February 22nd, 2001, 12:39 PM
#22
Inactive Member
I understand how the setup is, but what does "soft-touch" mean?
-
February 22nd, 2001, 04:12 PM
#23
Inactive Member
The soft-touch rev-limiter is what the MSD 6AL has. Its an after market ignition box with a built in adjustable rev-limiter that use's rpm pills or a dial.
-
February 23rd, 2001, 03:55 AM
#24
Inactive Member
MSD calls thier rev-limiter "soft-touch". I guess its just the use of the rpm pill chips.
-
February 23rd, 2001, 09:22 AM
#25
Inactive Member
Blowncivic,
Ever heard of PYR??? Well that stands for Peter Yam Racing. He recently moved here to houston from california. He does all that stuff such as ecu's, porting heads, etc.. but I would be very cautious on your dealings with him from personal expirences.
-
February 23rd, 2001, 12:09 PM
#26
Inactive Member
Yep, that's him! I thought it was Yen instead of Yam. No way, I'm not dealing with this guy. Completely removing the rev limiter on a stock-rocker...idiot.
Thanks. Tom
gsrev: Has Peter screwed you in the past? Just curious.
[This message has been edited by blowncivic (edited February 23, 2001).]
-
February 24th, 2001, 04:05 AM
#27
Inactive Member
One of the problems with removing/changing rev limit, is that the fuel/spark tables are not usually updated. So you are telling you engine in can rev to 9100 (or whatever) but are only feeding it enough for 8000.
If you miss a shift, it does not matter if you have a rev limiter or not, it will not protect you. If you don't believe me, hop on the highway get up to 80 and drop it into 2nd, see how high your revs go (manual transimission only).
-
February 24th, 2001, 04:06 AM
#28
Inactive Member
blowncivic,
No not me personally but some of the people have really gotten screwed. I really don't like the idea of posting this to the world as I really don't like to bash anyone, but let the truth be told. The b20/vtec I did on an integra he had bought a "custom" race clutch 3 puck from him.. turns out it was probably the one he has on his race car and yanked it out and sold it for 350.00. The car had only been driven about 3000 miles and the the pucks were almost completely worn down to the rivets. Another story... another acqaintence of mine had the head on his itr ported & polished by pyr and went to the dyno afterwards... get this.. picked up 1 hp afterwards
Took it back to peter and they went to the dyno together and he picked up 6 hp from the original. The difference was that peter had pulled off the power steering belt! Another guy got his ecu reprogrammed and it just removed the rev limit but didn't do anything else as far as performance. I am very sceptical about this guy.. Don't get me wrong now.. he does know somewhat what he is doing. Afterall he does have a nice looking civic drag car. I saw him run it once at the local track. Ran one pass and blew the head gasket but he claims low 11's. But you make your own opinions.. he is not cheap either.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks